Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Saturday, January 17, 2009

99 White Senators


(Relevant portion starts 4 minutes in)

Isn't it patently untrue that we have 99 white senators? For one thing, we have at most 98 until we get a junior senator for Minnesota.

But even ignoring that minor point, don't we have two senators who no one would call white? Including one who was put in an internment camp because of his non-whiteness? (Edit: this appears to not be true)

Sorry, but I hear this all the time and it drives me nuts. Not picking on Stephen Colbert especially.

5 comments:

Bert Q. Slushbrow, Sr. said...

And I'm pretty sure one of the Georgia senators is 1/16 black which makes him, below the Mason/Dixon line anyway, not white.

Raised By Republicans said...

Inouye is from Hawaii. I don't think the Hawaiian Japanese Americans were interred but I could be wrong. In any case, it is true that he is not "White."

Anonymous said...

Whoops! I don't know why I thought that. I'll delete it.

Raised By Republicans said...

Don't be hard on yourself Bell Curve. That he wasn't interred made him something of the exception among Japanese Americans of his time. So your main point is well taken. Not only are Japanese Americans not "White" in the sense of skin color, they have a history of being an oppressed minority so they aren't "White" politically either.

The Law Talking Guy said...

Interned, not interred. Not yet, anyway.