Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Tale of Three Speeches

I saw three speeches tonight.

McCain gave a tired and befuddled performance in what looked like a conference room at a hotel out by the airport - safely far from any "undesirables" in New Orleans proper.

Hillary gave a speech clearly gauged to carry on the fight against her supporters' most hated enemy...Barack Obama. The speech was delivered far better than McCain's. The venue was much larger than McCain's too. There were easily hundreds of people there. It really made McCain's event look pathetic. However, it was in a basement two levels below street level. And, given the classless refusal to recognize Obama's victory tonight, I'm moved to point out that perhaps given the jokes going around on youtube, Hillary's team could have picked a slightly less bunker-like venue for her latest refusal-to-concede speech.

And then there was Barack Obama. First, he chose to give his speech in exactly the large stadium that the GOP will hold their convention in this summer - the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN. The Minneapolis Star Tribune puts the crowd at about 17,000. His speech began by congratulating the other Democratic candidates especially Hillary Clinton who he said made him a better candidate and from whom he said he learned a great deal. The crowd cheer for Clinton (remember that the mood at Clinton's event was anti-Obama). Then he reached out to those people who voted for Clinton. He reminded Democrats that they didn't work for the candidates of their choice for the personal benefit of the candidate but for the issues. The speech was very good. The enormous crowd was really rocking.

From all this I take away the following. First, McCain is a confused old man who now that the media will be focusing more on him and less on the intraparty fights in the Democratic party, will see his image deteriorate rapidly. Second, both Hillary and Obama are infinitely better candidates than McCain. They both have better operations, better staffs and they're better speakers. And Obama has way more funds available. What's more the issues on their side.

It's too early to find Obama's speech on youtube. But if didn't see it live, I really encourage you to find it on youtube.

2 comments:

Raised By Republicans said...

BTW: I've seen stuff online that there were 50,000 trying to get into the Xcel Center but the place only holds 17,000 or so. They had to set up a jumbotron outside the place for the overflow.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a great speech and I think he left the door open for a place somewhere in his administration for HRC, especially in Health Care.

I heard part of her speech. I think she will conceed soon. She didn't strike me as being quite so militant. In fact, I noticed that when she came to the moment where a concession might have come or a declaration of "I will fight on", she actually said, "And I am committed to uniting our party so we move forward stronger and more ready than ever to take back the White House this November." And later in the speech whose transcript is avaiable at Fox News of all places, she said, "And in the coming days, I’ll be consulting with supporters and party leaders to determine how to move forward with the best interests of our party and our country guiding my way."

I think she is looking for a graceful way out. If she takes a couple of days, then she can say, "I consulted and everyone agreed that to unite the party and move forward it would be best fo rme to step down. I ask all of my supporters to work as hard for Barak Obama as possible because that is what is best for our nation and that is what I will be doing!"

YOu can see Barak's speech now at You Tube.