Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Celsius 488.3

Well, I was finally able to see Fahrenheit 9/11. I would have seen it earlier, but this movie is sold out every night in my city. I had to venture to a smaller town to get to see it. Needless to say, with so many Europeans watching this movie, I was a little worried about their reaction. I've been asked countless times "How could you elect that guy as president?" and I thought this would make people ask that question more -- instead, it did the opposite. The first 15 minutes of the movie were an enormous relief because it says to Europeans "it is debatable whether or not we actually did elect that guy."

Other random thoughts:

1. The French subtitles were good, though a little biased at times. The translation of "inauguration" was the same as the word for "enthronement".

2. I wonder how this movie will go over with the Arabic translation. Especially the line "Some call you the elite; I call you my base"*

3. I wonder what Britney Spears thinks of this movie.

4. This movie has quite an emotional impact, but I suspect it's mostly shock value. Has anyone seen this movie twice? I am curious to know if it's still as powerful, and also whether his claims seem a bit more tenuous the second time around. Please leave a comment if you have.

5. My father-in-law's first thought after leaving the movie theater? He recalled the book "Around the World in 80 Days" in which, while Phineas Fogg is flying over America, an election is being held ... with a gunfight. He wonders if things are going to get that chippy this time around. I told him they won't ... right?

---------------------
"Al Qaeda" is Arabic for "The Base"

1 comment:

Raised By Republicans said...

Great title for the posting!

Re: the potential for unrest surrounding the 2004 election. I'm afraid its possible. The same problems that disenfranchised thousands of African Americans in Florida are looking to happen again. If Bush wins reelection (unlikely in my opinion) and African Americans feel they've been disenfranchized again in Florida I could imagine riots in Jacksonville and Miami.