Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Monday, June 05, 2006

Why I Support Gay Marriage Now

A few years ago, I was against the idea of gay marriage. I thought it would cause too much fuss. I thought all that mattered were equivalent rights. "What's in a name?" I used to think. "Call it a life commitment, call it a quasi-spousal relationship--call it an ice cream cone for all I care. The important thing is to secure hospital visitation rights, to file income taxes jointly, and to make inheritance easier."

But then I saw the ceremonies in San Francisco and Massachussetts on TV--I saw all the tears and the joy--and I realized how much it meant to those couples to get married. After that, I began to support the idea of gay marriage in principle, but I still thought it was just too soon for the American public. I thought it would be better for the Democratic party to support civil unions instead. I thought that would be fair enough for now.

Then my boyfriend proposed to me. And suddenly I understood what it was all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!

Now, to my thinking this an issue about equal protection under the law. Are homosexuals full citizens deserving of equal protection under the Constitution? Are religious sects - regardless of their popularity - to be allowed to define citizenship? The answers to those questions are YES! and NO! 

// posted by Raised By Republicans