Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Saturday, June 03, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

See this movie.

When I was a teaching fellow at UCLA I helped teach a course that ended with a discussion of global climate change. We used many of the exact same graphs and charts that Al Gore shows--but this movie has much more material than we had access to, and the presentation is excellent. The comparison pictures of glaciers from the 1920s and today is worth the price of admission alone.

Al Gore makes the point that global climate change is both a scientific and political issue. Perhaps the most effective moment is when he shows the World Trade Center memorial site being drowned by rising water and asks, "Shouldn't we be working to stop threats other than terrorism too?" The science and politics Gore described changed how I think about global warming, and I had thought I had understood it all before.

See this movie. And see www.climatecrisis.org for more information.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the debate about climate change has got to move past the "if it exists" question to the "what do we do about it now" question.

Since moving to my midwestern town, I've seen a dozen or so record highs set just in the past year. What's more on two occaisions, we set a record high and a record low within 7 days of each other! Climate change is a reality and the consequences have real costs (e.g. New Orleans). The glaciers are just the canary in the coal mine.

Thanks for the film tip, I'll be sure to see it! If Al Gore does the environment what Jimmy Carter has done for emerging democracies and what it looks like Bill Clinton is going to do for AIDs, the world will be a far better place. I hope Gerry Ford and G.H.W. Bush are enjoying their golf games. 

// posted by Raised By Republicans