Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Thursday, June 15, 2006

From Barbara Boxer

I wrote my Senators about the situation with voting in this country. This is the response that I received.

Dear Ms. XXXXXXX


Thank you for writing to express your view about voting in our country. Americans believe that voting counts and that all votes should be counted. Yet, many question whether all votes actually get counted. While technology brings us almost instant vote counts, we have to ask whether that technology can be tampered with, changing election outcomes.

To address this critical issue, I have joined Senator Hillary Clinton in introducing the Count Every Vote Act (S.450) in the Senate. Our bill would establish a voter-verified paper trail for use by all citizens, including language minority voters, illiterate voters, and voters with disabilities. It would also mandate national standards in a variety of areas, including the registration of voters and the counting of provisional ballots.

The Count Every Vote Act designates Election Day a federal holiday and requires early voting in each state to encourage more citizens to vote. It also improves the security measures for voting machines and enables citizens to cast "no-excuse" absentee ballots. All provisions of this legislation would take effect no later than the November 2006 federal election.

The integrity of our nation = s elections is the most fundamental necessity for the functioning of our democracy. The strength and success of America = s democracy depends on fair and accurate elections. When I stood with Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones to protest the Ohio vote count, our goal was to reiterate this point -- that every vote counts and should be counted. The Count Every Vote Act is an important step in our continuing effort to create a more perfect union.

Again, thank you for sharing your views on this important issue. Please, do not hesitate to contact me in the future on this or any other issue that concerns you.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Boxer a lot and agree with her on just about everything. The real question is ... what did Feinstein say? 

// posted by Bell Curve

Anonymous said...

Feinstein said nothing. Not a word as of yet. I have written her office a couple of times over the years and I only ever received on form letter. This bums me out because she is from SF, a city that I have soft spot for since I am from Northern California. She's been co-opted by the opposition, I'd say!


However, I can give you a sense of where she might fall on the issue. The first vote brought to the floor in the 109 Congress was put forth by Boxer. It was a resoultion to disqualify Ohio's electoral votes on the grounds that "they were not, under all of the known circumstances, regularly given." The resoultion was killed 1-74. Feinstein did not vote.

Boxer and Feinstein are two very different women. Boxer, I used to think was sort of a airy fair type. But the last few years, she has gotten firey and interesting to watch. I agree with her more now than I did before and I like her opposition.

Feinstein is more conservative than Boxer and, I think a lot more ensconced in the Washington power structure. She sits on several heavy committees such as Judicary, intelligence, Rules, appropriations. Boxer has Foreign Relations, Science and Commerce, and Environment and Public works. See the difference? But Feinstein is the Senior senator afterall, so what more do we expect.


 

// posted by USwest

Anonymous said...

Oh, and your real last name is XXXXXXX? Aren't you giving away too much about yourself? 

// posted by Bell Curve

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my 2 day trip to vegas site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

bape hoodie
off white
kyrie irving
golden goose shoes
off white outlet
kd shoes
golden goose outlet
jordan outlet
spongebob kyrie 5
ggdb sneakers