Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

New Wiretap Scandal

Quite unexpectedly, former deputy AG James Comey testified today that, at one point, the Administration tried to get him to sign off on an even more sweeping wiretap bill when Ashcroft was in the hospital with pancreatitis (so Comey was Acting AG). Comey refused. So Card (WH chief of staff) and Gonzales (then WH counsel) went to the hospital to try to coerce Ashcroft into signing. He still refused. It went into effect anyway. Later, a current, "revised" version was agreed to.

"I was very upset," Comey told the committee. "I was angry. I thought I just witnessed an effort to take advantage of a very sick man, who did not have the powers of the attorney general because they had been transferred to me."

And what did the Administration really ask for? Comey would not say. But if it was too much for Ashcroft... wow...

1 comment:

Raised By Republicans said...

If only there were time to impeach this SOB.