Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Feinstein on Election Reform

Some of you will remember that last month I posted a copy of a letter from Barbara Boxer about election reform. I was asked by Bell Curve about what Diane Feinstein had to say. Well, I received response from her today. I have posted it below.


July 24, 2006


Thank you for contacting me regarding election reform. Your
correspondence is important to me, and I welcome the opportunity to
respond.

Like you, I believe the country needs meaningful election
reform. Since the 2000 Presidential Election, Congress has worked
diligently to improve our election system. Experiences in recent
elections, some of which were pointed out by Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. in a
July 15th Rolling Stone Magazine article, have demonstrated that we
need to take further steps to safeguard the integrity of our electoral
process. To that end, states are currently implementing the Help
America Vote Act of 2002 and replacing punch card and lever voting
systems with electronic machines. In addition, I am an original co-
sponsor of the "Voting Integrity and Verification Act of 2005" (S. 330),
which would require voting machines to produce a permanent paper
record so that voters can check the accuracy of their ballots and officials
can conduct a manual audit or recount should either one be necessary.

It is also imperative that all citizens are assured that their right to
vote will not be violated. There are several proposals presently in
Congress aimed at ending voter intimidation, increasing overseas voter
turnout, increasing voter registration, and ensuring that absentee ballots
are accurately counted. Please be assured that I understand your concern
about the state of elections in this country, and I will keep your views in
mind as the Senate reviews legislation and other efforts to protect the
legitimacy of the electoral process. Public elections are the heart of our
democracy and we must ensure that they express the will of the people.

Once again, thank you for writing to me. I hope you will
continue to keep me informed on issues of importance to you. Should
you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to call
my Washington, D.C. staff at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

No comments: