Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Feeling patriotic

I don't know if I have mentioned it before on this blog, but I would like to see the Cuban embargo lifted. I feel for the people of Cuba and want to see their situations improved.

But I find myself rooting strongly against Cuba in the World Baseball Classic. I don't just want them to lose, I want to see them embarrassed. How much would that humiliate Castro?

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone else even care about the WBC?

5 comments:

Dr. Strangelove said...

Sorry, but I'm one of those who don't care about the WBC. Would a loss embarrass Castro? Maybe--I'm sure it would not please him. But few would notice and all would soon forget.

Lifting the embargo, on the other hand, would--as you mentioned--make a significant difference. If having Cuba in the WBC focuses some attention on the embargo, then it's a good thing.

Anonymous said...

The "World Baseball Classic" seems about as artificial an event as could be imagined. It will not become a "classic." They may not even do it next year. Is anyone seriously risking injury, as they would in a real game? No, I doubt it. The only way to make it matter is to include other international leagues in the World Series hunt. 

// posted by LTG

Anonymous said...

They won't do it next year. It's scheduled to be every four.

I don't know. I guess I'm just a baseball junkie. But I love it. 

// posted by Bell Curve

Anonymous said...

I think lifting the embargo would be a great idea. When Castro dies (and he will sooner rather than later) it would be better for all if there were something like a developing private sector there. The way it is now, everyone on the island is 100% dependent on the state (and the Communist Party) for their livelihoods. That's not good for us and since we're not worried about an invasion from Cuba (recent reruns of Red Dawn aside), why not let them diversify their economy a bit. 

// posted by Raised By Republicans

Anonymous said...

No one in Cuba is 100% dependant on the State. They are 100% dependant on the cash remissions from their relatives in the United States.

I don't know enough about the political climate in Cuba to know for sure, but my impression is that once Catro is gone, we will be surprised at the good standing of the US on the Island. Am I wrong? Can anyone comment on this?

 

// posted by UNWest