Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Thursday, December 28, 2006

John Edwards



(photo originally viewed at this site, and is meant in no way to implicate Dr. S. . . . or maybe . . . )

John Edwards is taking advantage of the slow news cycle to announce his candidacy. He is headed to Iowa next. So I hope Roving Citizen will give us some insight on that visit.

He is still talking about 2 Americas. He is saying that he wants to being 40-50K troops home now. He is talking about universal health care, a fight against global warming, and, get this, morality. Of course, there are no details at this point.

When he ran as a VP, I felt he was overly emotive and I didn't care for him. However, looking at the current field of candidates, I am willing to give him a second look. He is actually refreshing at the moment. He is young, has little history, has openly admitted he made a mistake in voting for the war, has not been in elected office since 2004, and campaign experience behind him. These things may be assets. He is the type of long shot candidate that may surprise us. And America may be ready for a young, idealistic, charmer with big ideas. Maybe it is what we need after 8 years of corruption and rampant egotism.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I feel almost identically to USWest. I'm willing to look at John Edwards again. He's making the right noises.

Still, my prediction remains that Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic Presidential nominee in 2008.

Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone,

From what my contacts in Iowa tell me, Edwards has a real chance of not just coming in a strong second in the Iowa Caucus but actually winning it. He's got lots of loyal supporters left over in the local party organizations from 2004. Vilsack on the other hand has alienated many in a key Demcoractic constituency...University of Iowa faculty. He has been blamed at many water coolers for that universities disasterous search for a new university president. Vilsack's cronies on the Board of Regents have behaved very badly and accusations of conflict of interest are not uncommon (several of the regents have ties to a major HMO with contracts with the UI hospital and that HMO is rumored to be a major Vilsack contributer).

Edwards also has good chances in Nevada. I have some contacts with people there too and I'll rove on over and ask them. Keep your eye on Edwards folks.  

// posted by Roving Citizen

Anonymous said...

Edwards has what, one term in the Senate? And he's no longer in office. I'm not at all sure he's got the experience people will demand. It depends, I think, on who the Republicans put up. Experience alone isn't that crucial, but you have to be a heavyweight. Obama pulls it off better than Edwards. 

// posted by LTG

Anonymous said...

Edwards has what, one term in the Senate? And he's no longer in office. I'm not at all sure he's got the experience people will demand. It depends, I think, on who the Republicans put up. Experience alone isn't that crucial, but you have to be a heavyweight. Obama pulls it off better than Edwards. 

// posted by LTG

Anonymous said...

I'll chime in and side with Roving Citizen. Edwards is worth watching.

G.W. Bush had less time as Governor of Texas and a series of personal failures to his credit.

Lincoln I think only had one or two House terms to his credit.

One advantage Edwards may have is that he can run as an outsider. He's also been spending his "retirement" from elected office building up a non-profit organization for poverty reduction.  

// posted by RBR

Anonymous said...

I agree with Roving Citizen and RBR. He doesn't have a record to be attacked and he pulls of "sincere" very well. In fact, I think he really is. His "two" America's notion will go much better now than in 2004. I think people are really feeling the disparity more now than then. And that message is appealing to a lot of people because they can understand it on a personal level. He has all the right values talk, something Democrats are known to have trouble with. Next to Edwards, Clinton looks harsh and brassy.

Obama is, I think, a one shot wonder. He is like Tiger Woods. He is fascinating and a great speaker. But in the end, he lacks a certain substance and gravitas. What has he done lately other than be entertaining and maybe a bit inspiring? I can see him taking a spot in a Democratic Adminsitration, just not as President. He just doesn't speak to all Americans.

The other candidates aren't worth talking much about at this point.
 

// posted by USwest