Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Friday, August 06, 2004

Ron Reagan On Bush

Hi Everyone,

I recently read an op-ed piece forthcoming in Esquire (September 2004, Volume 142, Issue 3) by Ron Reagan (late President Reagan's son for those who live in a cave). I really feal like I can relate to where this guy is coming from. Like me, he was raised by Republicans and raised around a Republican party that was radically different from the one we see today. I strongly suggest reading it. My favorite quotation from it is the following:

"My father, acting roles excepted, never pretended to be anyone but himself. His Republican party, furthermore, seems a far cry from the current model, with its cringing obeisance to the religious Right and its kill-anything-that-moves attack instincts. Believe it or not, I don't look in the mirror every morning and see my father looming over my shoulder. I write and speak as nothing more or less than an American citizen, one who is plenty angry about the direction our country is being dragged by the current administration. We have reached a critical juncture in our nation's history, one ripe with both danger and possibility. We need leadership with the wisdom to prudently confront those dangers and the imagination to boldly grasp the possibilities. Beyond issues of fiscal irresponsibility and ill-advised militarism, there is a question of trust. George W. Bush and his allies don't trust you and me. Why on earth, then, should we trust them?" -- Ron Reagan

I don't know of it Ron Reagan feels any nostalgia for the GOP of the 1980s. By that time, I was already becoming disillusioned with Republicans. However, I at least knew then that Republicans shared a more or less common view of democracy and liberty with Democrats even though they disagreed strongly on particular policies. I'm no longer confident that the Republicans share that view anymore - at least not the current leadership and dominant faction within the party.

2 comments:

The Law Talking Guy said...

Ron Reagan's best line is that he wants a president who "believes in science." This is, of course, meant more broadly as an indictment of the ignorant people (and I use that word deliberately) who oppose teaching biology in school. It's a persistent problem with this president.

USWest said...

I think the more moderate voices in the Republican are being lost. I think that is unfortunate. Extremes are never good, regardless of what side they come from. Extreme conservatives turn fascist and extreme liberals go communist (considered in some circles as fascists by a different name). But I don't think it is wise for the Democrats to cozy up to the few moderates left. This is a cycle that we are in and it will turn. Then it will be hard for the Democrats to distance themselves. I am all for unity, but welcoming the McCains and Reagans into the fold , even temporarily, will blowback at some point.

I am finding it hilarious that McCain, who probably voted with he democrats more than most Democrats in Congress last term, is running all over the country with Bush. See, it's all only skin deep.