Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Whaaaaa?

This just came out of left field.

LTG and I have been talking about how the Bible cannot be taken literally for a while now. But I have a very hard time believing that the Catholic Church came out and said as much. Good for them. Read the article, and note this part:

They go on to condemn fundamentalism for its “intransigent intolerance” and to warn of “significant dangers” involved in a fundamentalist approach.

“Such an approach is dangerous, for example, when people of one nation or group see in the Bible a mandate for their own superiority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others.”
I'm impressed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the formal excuse for the IRA and Croatian militia groups is. The Vatican was notoriously slow to condemn those religiously motivated terror groups.

If this new Pope turns out to be sincere about this, then I'll be very pleasantly surprised. But for now, I'll ask to be forgiven if I'm a doubting Thomas. 

// posted by Raised By Republicans