Bell Curve The Law Talking Guy Raised by Republicans U.S. West
Well, he's kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

Saturday, October 16, 2004

Stewart and "Hard" News

John Stewart was on Bill O'Reilly the other day and there was an exchange where Vibrator Bill called the Daily Show audience a bunch of "stoned slackers." So Comedy Central struck back. But beyond the silliness of it, there seemed to be a theme of "why didn't you ask John Kerry real questions?" Cause umm, it's, ahh, COMEDY, Bill...

John Stewart was also on Crossfire. Besides making fun of Tucker Carlson and calling him a not nice word that my mommy said was out of bounds, he tries to make a point...and neither Carlson nor Begala get it. Or at least, they are so "concerned" with the low level of "legitimate" news coverage on the Daily Show that they pretend not to get it.

Granted, Stewart was essentially telling these people they were idiots and bad at their jobs, which, of course, they are, so I'm sure they didn't have the nicest sort of warm fuzzy feeling toward Stewart that they otherwise might have had. But his point remains: why can't any real journalist, and no, John Stewart is not a real journalist, ask a tough question and get a real response? Answer: they worry they'lll never have an interview again. Oh, and they're all suck-ups. Actually, I think journalists can't ask real questions because they have several forms of monkey retardation...But more damning is the possibility that people don't care or aren't interested enough to ask whether they are getting good, straight answers from their elected officials. In a market economy, I can't think of a better way to stand out and make yourself different...be the network that will ask a real question and demand a real answer.

The funniest comedy/news ("nomedy"?) show on TV: 2
Grating Half-Wits: 0


3 comments:

Dr. Strangelove said...

I wish I'd seen it... I read news articles about it and then I went to CNN and read the transcript. When the hosts of Crossfire smugly tried to explain that the reason they argued so fiercely was that their show was a "debate," Stewart said that he wished it were so--but in truth their show was just "theater." This was a great exchange:

STEWART: See, the thing is, we need your help. Right now, you're helping the politicians and the corporations. And we're left out there to mow our lawns.

BEGALA: By beating up on them? You just said we're too rough on them when they make mistakes.

STEWART: No, no, no, you're not too rough on them. You're part of their strategies. You are partisan, what do you call it, hacks.

...then, later on, there was this exchange:

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one. The thing that I want to say is, when you have people on for just knee-jerk, reactionary talk...

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.

...and then perhaps his best line came when they tried to turn the tables on him and say he'd been soft on Kerry when he interviewed him. Steward explained that his show wasn't supposed to be news--it was comedy. When they continued to press him on it, he snapped:

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls.

He begged them to please stop "hurting" us all. Just makes you want to cheer. I'll bet he won't be going on Crossfire again anytime soon. But I must object to "nomedy." Please don't ever write that word again :-)

Raised By Republicans said...

I saw a replay of the clip the other day. Stewart was magnificent! He made fools of the Crossfire guys, especially Tucker.

Many is the time I've felt people like John Stewart or Bill Maher had better, more thoughtful analysis than most of the so called "real" journalist shows.

The Law Talking Guy said...

I do truly protest over "nomedy."